Our CannaCaps are about like they sound. They’re potent and powerful medicinal capsules full of cannabis for MMMP patients and caregivers.
What you’ll need:
- Bud (You can use any herb. I simply prefer to spice these up with good bud.) For this first process, you’ll need about 1/2 ounce of cannabis.
- Coffee Grinder (Or a food processor that will grind).
- Tin foil.
- Small (digital preferred) scale.
- Vegetable Oil (or whatever type of such oil you like).
- Candy Thermometer.
- Empty capsules (for the Cap-M-Quick).
- Large Syringe.
1. Spread the bud out to dry for 24 hours. Grind in a coffee grinder or good quality food processor. Dry another 24 hours, and grind again in a coffee grinder. You will have a very fine and somewhat sticky powder.
2. Make a tinfoil bowl, folding the foil to the outside. (Or use any container of your choice.) This is surprisingly effective, the ground bud does not stick and slides easily. Weigh the ‘bowl’. Pour in the ground bud and weigh again.
3. Calculate the amount of oil needed:
.48 tablespoons x(times) grams(weight).
That’s pretty much it. That will give you the amount of oil you will add to the medication/bud.
Handy little table to have:
4 TBS. =1/4 cup
5 1/3 TBS. = 1/3 cup
8 TBS. = 1/2 cup
10 2/3 TBS. = 2/3 cup
12 TBS. = 3/4 cup
In this instance:
71.5 = bud + bowl
-4.5 = bowl
67.0 = bud alone
x .48 = oil
therefore, approximately 2 cups of oil
4. Pour the oil and bud into a pot, you want something good sized to heat in.
Heat over a low temperature. Stir constantly, do not leave your bud alone, no matter what. Use a candy thermometer and heat to 250 plus, and nothing over 350! Pay attention to your oil also, for instance at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, flax seed oil is foaming over the rim of the pot. Some oils can take more heat than others.
Cool the mixture.
5. Next set the Cap-M-Quik up on the little blocks.
(This device and empty capsules may be found at many health food stores, or at the links provided. Do not use the vegetarian capsules, they will melt.)
Insert the bottom half, the big half of the empty capsules into the holder.
Stir the mixture every time you fill the syringe. THIS IS NOT A NEEDLE. this syringe is used to put medicine in your mouth. it is not sharp.
This syringe has a relatively large hole. Liquids, even thick liquids move easily thru this. It came from a pharmacy, and is used for risperdal, a liquid form of an anti-psychotic med. This syringe makes doing this task relatively easy. Stirring every time, fill the syringe and use it to fill all the capsules to the rim. Gently set the top half of the empty capsules onto the filled capsules in the Cap-M-Quik. Turn the blocks and lower the tray holding the capsules. Push down firmly on all the tops of the capsules so that they snap shut. 315 capsules were made with this material. I believe this is just over .2 grams per capsule.
Less oil can be used and a thicker mixture will result. I am unsure how much less oil can be used without the mixture becoming too thick for the syringe. The reason we use this method is because using less oil and trying to insert the mixture into the capsules results in more waste than we can tolerate. This is the most careful way to make capsules with the least waste. One other obvious note on that issue, every single thing this medicine goes into must be very cleanly scraped. We have a small spatula that can tolerate high temperatures for this chore.
Store them in the fridge.